Are you looking for a RANK? This time we share the story of Umesh Jain who cleared CA Final at the age of 20 and achieved 29th All India Rank (AIR) in CA Final. He is also holding a degree in Company Secretary (CS). Presently he is working with Reliance Industries as a Management Trainee.
“I started Chartered Accountancy (CA) course immediately after class 12 with courage, passion and a big dream. At the age of 17 after clearing CPT (1st level CA exam), I moved from Jodhpur to Mumbai to pursue my CA Internship with a GOAL to become a successful CA. But somebody has rightly said – Success Occurs when Opportunity Meets Preparation,” says CA Umesh Jain, Jodhpur.
“I scored 127 Marks in CPT which is pretty average, not extraordinary. Then CA IPCC (2nd level CA exam consisting of 2 Groups, Group 1 & Group 2) I cleared both the groups separately – The 1st attempt I gave only Group 1 cleared it and then gave Group 2. However, in CA Final I got an AIR 29 rank.
So from average marks in CPT to a Ranker in CA Final, what gave me that rank? What inspired me to achieve these deliverables?
It was my passion for these 2 words CA before my name – CA. My Dad always wanted to be a CA himself. But due to family responsibilities at an early age, he could not pursue CA. Till date, my Dad personally manages all the accounts of his business. I guess that passion rubbed on to me.
He always wanted to make me a successful person not only professionally but personally and his strengths of being Focused, Patient and having a Problem Solving Approach helped me greatly. And I am forever grateful to my parents, my teachers and all my mentors who advised me and helped me in achieving whatever little I have achieved.
Friends CA Internship played an important role in developing my practical knowledge and helped me to understand what is expected of a Chartered accountant (CA). I had done my internship from Jain and Jain, a Mid-Size CA firm in Mumbai which gave me an all-around exposure in Direct Taxation, Auditing and some assignments on Internal control.
Initially, I was in Audit team. Over time I realized that Taxation is what I want to get into. SO after a year into my articleship I was shifted to the Tax team. They gave me a shift to the Tax segment as I was a great performer when I used to go on Audits. So give your best always.
Articleship gave me an overall understanding of how the corporate world works. This exposure helped me greatly in my CA Final exams as well. I always suggest CA Students – Have a versatile experience during your articleship days from Tax to Audit. Do not get stuck with just Auditing or Taxation. An overall understanding is very important to decide your preference areas in future.
CA Final Journey:
- My CA Final exam (last level CA exam consisting of 2 Groups, Group 1 & Group 2) was in Nov’16, so I got exam preparation leave from 15th Jun’16. I had exactly 4.5 months to prepare for CA Final. However, typically my preparation for CA Final started immediately after passing CA IPCC.
- I gave my best right from the beginning. Here is the in-depth study pattern I followed giving me an AIR in CA Final.
- Direct Taxation (DT) was always my favorite. I scored 66 marks in DT with Durgesh Sir’s Guidance. I shared here all other study details.
Life After CA Qualification:
I got placed in Reliance Industries as a Management Trainee. It is a great opportunity to work here and to learn the different business areas.
- One should have Passion to inspire oneself and also work hard to Achieve it.
- Understanding of Basic concepts is must, as it is difficult to revise the entire syllabus on the exam day.
- You need not be a super genius to become CA, even an average student who is ready to work hard can become a CA. Just Believe in Yourself.
- CA can be a slow process but quitting won’t speed it up!
- To get a rank or to clear in 1st attempt prepare early. Study regularly right from the start,” he concluded
You can reach him at email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org